Wednesday, February 18, 2015

My Call to Serve

Growing up, it was never in my plan to serve a mission. I always loved missionaries and thought it would be cool but never thought it was for me. When President Monson made the age change, I thought there was a possibility that I'd go but really didn't think much of it. Several months after the announcement I was sitting in seminary when the thought "You need to go on a mission" entered my thoughts very clearly. I was really confused because, like I said before, I never thought a mission was for me. So I brushed the thought aside and went about normal life. But that week the thought came again and again and would not go away. So I decided to talk to my Heavenly Father about it. I fasted and prayed for six months before I got my answer. I knew that I needed to serve a mission. It took another six months to decide when I would leave, I finally received an answer to that as well. I started my papers in October and everything went smoothly with that.

I got my call in the mail on November 26, the day before Thanksgiving. One of the most exciting days of my life so far! I opened it and read:
“Dear Sister Escher, you are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the CHINA HONG KONG mission. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on February 25, 2015. You should prepare to teach the gospel in the Cantonese language.”

I was SOOOO shocked!!! I had totally thought I was staying in the states. It was the craziest feeling! I knew that was exactly where I was supposed to go and already loved the people! I had really been hoping for a mission with a temple and warm weather and I was given both! I know that Heavenly Father truly does know me personally and has a plan for me. 

That was almost three months ago and now I leave a week from today. I am beyond excited to bring the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Hong Kong and to see their lives changed and made better because of it! The gospel has been such a blessing in my life, I know it is true with all my heart. I want to share the happiness and light it brings to me. I’ve decided to serve a mission because I have a Heavenly Father who lives and loves me, a Savior who died for me , they have a marvelous plan for each of us, and I cannot keep quiet about that! The people in Hong Kong are God's children too and they deserve to know that they have a Savior. I am beyond excited to start this journey! :)  







No comments:

Post a Comment